Using RTSP streams from Blue Iris

• Blue Iris RTSP streams now work with the Echo Show through Monocle, using only the web service / alexa skill and no special tags or locally installed gateway.

This is a game changer for me. As of Blue Iris version 5.3.2.11, any camera that works with Blue Iris (and that’s pretty much anything) can be made to work with Alexa. Simply use the Monocle web portal to setup your connection to your local Blue Iris web server’s RTSP streams. Here are some example settings that got my Hikvision doorbell working. You can set the resolution using the querystring of the stream URL. Match that resolution in the Monocle settings. Set authentication to “digest” if you require logging in from your local network. The video and audio codecs for me were h264 and AAC by default.

example settings

My doorbell cam would not work with my Echo Show using Monocle. But by grabbing a stream from Blue Iris instead of directly from the camera, now it does! This also helps limit the connections to the camera, as there is a 3 connection limit. There is a bit of a delay getting the video going compared to when I bring it up in VLC, but it works! Kudos to Ken Pletzer for offering unparalleled support for his product.